Friday, August 27, 2010

jinidon, sodon yeredon nyogon te

[knowing the tree, knowing the house, knowing oneself is better]

Today I learned the djoun djoun rhythms of Sounou, a dance we taught in Mande last spring, and Sungurru Banni, a dance we're learning this summer in Mali. After my lesson, Madou gave me some really touching words of encouragement telling me that he is very proud of my ability to play the rhythms he's taught me exactly as he wants them to be played and that I could be a master drummer if I spent more time in Mali studying djoun djoun! He also told me he thinks of me as his student, his son, his brother, and his friend! After lunch I worked with Sekou on learning about the history and tradition of Sungurru Banni and learned a song called "Nama Buru." Sungurru Banni which translates in meaning to "the young flirtacious girl" and Nama Buru is the name of an horn-type instrument used as a trophy for the hardest worker on a given day on the farm. The traditions is such that young farmers will work on the field and make competition to be named the Nama Buru of the day, winning praise from the peers and the women as well as the privilege to blow the Nama Buru to begin the dances of praise. The song was really fun to learn and hopefully Sekou and I have enough time to make a Nama Buru with materials from the market!

Thinking about the history and people dynamics in "Nama Buru and the kind words of support from Madou today made me think about the quality of relationships I have developed not only in Mali but back home with my family and friends. Malian culture thinks of relationships in very categorical systems with very particular characteristics assigned to different "roles" in society based on kinship, age, gender, and social class. Not only has this cultural experience helped me to appreciate my experience here in Mali, but its given me a lot of context for all of the support I've received from my friends and peers, but particularly from my parents who have been incredible in guiding me and supporting me in every crazy endeavor I've taken on from Little League baseball, dancing folklorico, lessons for this and lessons for that, making me practice this and making me practice that, to understanding my goals and desires later in life and trusting my process of learning from my choices and experiences. I miss my brothers (shoutout to Ryan who just started college and Remi who just started at a new middle school) and cant wait to be back with my friends back at Brown (shoutout to Derbies + Greenhouse + Blair, Sara, & Ria) but with such fulfilling and jam-packed days here in Mali I know that I'll look back on my time in Mali as too short! 

No comments:

Post a Comment